Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Gutsy Arachnid Takes a Trip



When I left the Big City the other day to travel to The Platz for some deer hunting I noticed a diminutive, joint-legged invertebrate on the hood of the GMC.  I didn’t think much of it at the time as I was busy loading dogs, cooler and box into the SUV.  Besides, who should be surprised about spiders living in a heated, underground parking garage?  With near constant temperatures, plenty of space to weave a web, no winds or rain, a food supply of other bugs – it’s a good life – much better than that of a wilder cave-dwelling spider.  This was a thoroughly urban spider.  A hipster in the spider world.  And I digress.    

It hadn’t occurred to me at the time if Mr. Spider would stay or flee the motor vehicle.  It was a forgone conclusion that a choice to stay would be at his own peril.  A small critter like this could be whooshed by the slipstream from the hood of the vehicle at freeway speeds and squashed.  Like a bug.  Such mundane bug-world matters of life and death do not ordinarily occupy space between my ears or consume the precious bandwidth remaining in my brain.  Until 133 miles later when I found this… 

click on the spider to enlarge

Yup!  One and the same.  I had stopped for gas at the Red Rocket and as I was cleaning the front glass there was the arachnid - sunning himself on the right front fender.  Not paying me any mind he continued sunning himself.  And I continued about cleaning the glass - wondering all the while how this little guy hung on for dear life at 70+ miles per hour.  And why?  Was this a high-tech spider migration?  That theory made little sense as any self-respecting spider would prefer to travel south.  Pulling the receipt from the pump I casually walked around the truck to give him another look and as I approached he scooted over to the space between the front quarter panel and the hood over the engine compartment and disappeared.  Mystery solved.   

This was the elusive underground garage-dwelling spider that chooses to live in a four-wheeled General Motors Corporation condo.  Smart critter to hide from the menace of high-speed travel beneath the hood.  

Although you’d think he’d choose something quieter…

No comments:

Post a Comment