Saturday, November 28, 2009

Deer Camp Winds Down


That red pine sapling that you see to the left isn’t going to make it.

It has been stripped bare and girdled by a buck marking his territory.

Deer camp is winding down.

And a good year it has been.

Our crew of six bagged four deer so far this year and there still remains some hunting to be done. Although I’d be the first to admit that it is difficult to be motivated when the freezers are packed to the gills with yummy venison and pheasants.

So I’ve been puttering in the kitchen and reading by the fire.

The Frau suggested I go out and knock one down for the hungry. That’s probably a good idea as deer donations are down significantly this year. Probably due to the wounded economy and maybe reduced deer numbers.

Who knows?

Cooked-up a big old wild turkey for the family on Thanksgiving. It was awesome. Made a big old batch of turkey soup yesterday for supper. It was awesome.

Like I said - cooking and getting caught-up on my reading.

I’ve been digging this book by Jon KrakauerUnder the Banner of Heaven. It’s as good as any of the other stuff he’s written such as Into Thin Air and Into the Wild. If you like contemporary and religious history with a dose of depravity I recommend it. When I'm done with this I need to get my hands on a copy of his story about Pat Tillman.

Took all the recyclables and garbage to the dump today. I was hoping to get some of the skinny on the local hunt but nobody besides the caretaker was there. I did notice some groups conducting some deer drives however.

Maybe I should go out and sit. Something just might get pushed my way.

The Frau and I went out this afternoon and cut a Christmas tree and a bunch of spruce and pine boughs for holiday decorating. What fragrance!

The ponds froze over last night and the creek is running.

No comments:

Post a Comment