Friday, October 29, 2010

Top Ten War Movies - #2

Number two.

And another point of view.

When I registered for the draft pop offered me some counsel about enlisting in the military.

He said to not wait for the draft notice but to enlist in the Navy. Not the Army. His reasoning was that I would be assured of three square meals a day and a warm bunk every evening. In retrospect, his advice became a moot point because Nixon instituted the all-volunteer military and the draft disappeared. Nonetheless, I dunno about dad's wisdom.

While I have no personal experience in the matter I happen to think that there is nothing worse than having someone shoot at you.

Especially if you are underwater.

This 1981 motion picture is a riveting portrayal of the horrors of warfare.

Starring in Das Boot were Jürgen Prochnow, Herbert Grönemeyer, Klaus Wennemann, Hubertus Bengsch and Martin Semmelrogge.

If you ever have an opportunity to watch it in surround sound on the big screen - hang on tight...


No comments:

Post a Comment