Monday, July 29, 2013

Lighthouse Living


I was checking-out the lighthouse at Point Beach State Park last weekend and was amazed to see people living there.  I got to thinking - I thought the Coast Guard didn't use lighthouse keepers anymore.  They automated all of the navigation lights didn't they?

But sure enough - there was a real family here at the lighthouse - with kids and everything.  I would have walked over and asked them what their story was but there were scary, official USCG signs warning me to Keep Out!  I was stumped.

Here's the real story and this is totally cool.

You can rent the dang place.  Yes, the Rawley Point Cottage (lighthouse keepers quarters) is available to rent.   Minimum stay is 2 nights; maximum stay is 7 nights. Advance payment is required 7 working days prior to the reservation.  There are two units and each can accomodate up to eight individuals.  You need to bring your own bed linens, towels, wash cloths, all paper products, toiletries, dish towels, and food.  You can even bring your dog.  Everything else is provided.

You can learn more about this here.

No comments:

Post a Comment