Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Consider the Larch

I cannot get enough of my favorite tree.  The tamarack or larch - Larix laricina.  Also called the hackmatack.

The larch can tolerate cold temperatures better than any tree in North America which is why you'll find it in the northernmost regions of the continent. 

I suppose I'm biased since we've nurtured several nice stands of tamarack on the tree farm.  They're well-suited to some of the soil types and are thriving.  They sport some crazy branches that would almost make you think they belong in a Dr. Seuss story but the part I like best is the fall color found in this species.



The needles turn a blazing golden color - then they drop.  It's done.  In the spring the tree grows an entire new set of needles and begins the process all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment