Saturday, November 9, 2013

Never a Dull Hunt


Woke at 4:30 AM to rain.  Bagged the hunting and went back to my comfy warm bed.  Big winds and spitting drizzle most of the day.  Water everywhere.

Hunted the last three hours of daylight from the ground.  Only a fool would hunt from a tree in this wind.  Lost in my thoughts around 4 PM I glanced-up to see a fork horn buck at 25 paces.  Judging from his size about a one and a half year-old.  It was like he materialized out of nowhere.  There he was – broadside to me looking like he was posing for a holy card.  I continued watching him and after about five minutes he trotted-off.  If only a big, fat doe would linger around like that I’d have something hanging by now.  Just after shooting time another deer trotted into view and immediately wheeled-about and vanished.  Too dark to tell if it was a buck or doe.

Slogging thru the puddles in the trail on my half-mile walk home another deer and I almost stumbled over one another.  Neither of us spotted the other in the windy dark.  The deer snorted and bounded off and I chuckled.  Both of us enjoyed a brief adrenaline rush.

It’s snowing…

No comments:

Post a Comment