Friday, September 25, 2015

First Blood

Third sit of the season and the first time I've actually seen any deer.

I was in a stand directly over the creek with a NE breeze in my face - perfect. Mama and a couple of twin fawns came strolling down the trail on the north side of the creek - they were oblivious to my presence. One of the fawns was nudging mom to nurse and not having the heart to shoot mom or a deer only a bit larger than my big hunting Lab I decided to take pictures of them.

click on images to enlarge
 
Fortunately a solo doe literally came bounding on to the scene so I put down my phone, picked-up my bow and shot her at 20 paces.

Finding your arrow stuck in the ground and covered in blood is evidence of a complete pass-through shot.


Blood trail good too.


Deceased deer 35 yards from where she was shot.  Rage expandable broad head - while expensive - are deadly efficient.  Almost perfect shot placement.


The Frau and I field dressed the whitetail and had it hanging within an hour of the kill.


Nice healthy doe.  Probably 1 1/2 years-old and because she was dry - definitely without fawns.  Guess I'm butchering tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment