Tuesday, December 4, 2018

A Difference of Opinion

A friend recently asked why I’m ‘so hard’ on President Trump.  The short answer would be that I’ve had a negative opinion of Trump from the first time I became aware of him.  I never liked the guy.  I consider him a con man.  Opinions that date back decades are difficult to change. 
 
His reality television productions were lame.  When I learned he was a draft dodger my opinion hardened.  Trump's attitude towards women is beyond the pale.  If you asked me what I think about Trump I will tell you:  Donald Trump is a vulgar and godless individual. 
 
To be fair I am clear-eyed about this.  I am flawed too.  We all are.  As a consequence my judgment of anyone is taken seriously and done so with ample reflection-upon my own shortcomings.  I have boundless respect for the office of the presidency and embrace the truth that Trump is my President.  
 
I suppose what troubles me the most is that decent, upstanding and otherwise good people countenance and rationalize Trump's lying, his immoral behavior and lack of civility.  Has our culture become so transactional that we compromise our most basic of values and ethics so casually? 
 
Seriously – does tolerance have no boundaries? 

No comments:

Post a Comment