Saturday, December 29, 2018

Your Mileage May Vary

Some of you readers may know that this fall Jill and I purchased a mini van.  A Honda Odyssey to be exact.  A 2015 with only 18,000 miles on the odometer - a steal as it came off lease.  The owners manual was still in the manufacturer's wrapping and it even has a wee bit of new car smell.

In any event it was with no small amount of trepidation that I entered-into this purchase.  Having sold my mistress to a younger man this past summer and preparing to sell the GMC sport utility on Craig's List it seemed that I was trading Detroit muscle and style for cup holders.  This was cause for some small amount of cognitive dissonance and angst in the image department.  Jill loved the van from the very start.

Nevertheless, the Odyssey has grown on me.  Spacious and smooth-riding with a terrific view of the traffic around me - I have grown to like it.  There is ample space in the back for a couple of full-size crates to haul the Labs, a low step for the elderly dog to enter and exit, and all sorts of extra space for hauling.  Removing the dog crates there is seating for seven adults.  My descent into practicality is complete.

The other day we returned from a whirlwind road trip to visit the grandkids, daughter, son-in-law and extended southern in-laws on the gulf coast.  The van was our chariot.  The trip from Milwaukee to Mobile Alabama is something on the order of 1020 miles and takes 14 and a quarter hours if you do it in one excruciating pull.  We take a couple of days with a layover in Nashville. 



Note this - before we departed I tanked-up with gas in Manitowoc, fiddled-around Wauwatosa for a couple of days running errands before leaving for the coast.  We did not have to refuel until well-south of Indianapolis.  And even then we still had about a quarter tank to go.  On the highway the Honda is a gas miser. 




Averaging 30+ MPG for the entire trip a full tank of gas allows for about 650 miles of range per fill.  The way I figure it two tanks of gas to make the trip and there's still quite a bit left to spare.

click on images for a closer look
I embrace the mini van.

No comments:

Post a Comment