Saturday, June 2, 2018

Bird in the Bush

Having been away on business for a spell I've been unable to monitor the Brown Thrasher nest in the tangley, gnarly, nasty and hazardous rose bush on the south-facing wall of the attached garage. Previously I has posted progress reports here and here.

This is what I found.

click on image for a closer look
 

Empty nest!  Yet momma bird was returning regularly to the nest to set and alternately perch in the rose bush to sing to her suitor posted high in the apple tree.

It may be that a predator of some sort cleaned-out the eggs that were there a couple of weekends ago or it is entirely possible they hatched and the youngsters fledged while we were away.  The book says 10 to 13 days from hatch to fledge.  I tend to lean toward the latter theory as opposed to the former.  I'm an optimist.

In any event, the Brown Thrasher typically raises two broods so we'll keep a sharp eye on developments.

Stay-tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment