Friday, June 8, 2018

Friday Music

A little over a year ago I was cleaning out my basement in preparation for moving.  In the process I discovered a treasure – a nylon CaseLogic tote of cassette tapes – most of them homemade mix tapes of my own recording.  In any event, the case of tapes found its way to our ancient Chevy pick-up truck which actually has a factory-installed cassette player.  If I'm going to the dump or hauling something it is a welcome respite to indulge in older music from decades ago.  

Last weekend the First Mate and I spent a few days fishing the Eagle Chain and the tapes found a reprise while traveling down the road on our road trip and eventually they found their way into the boat – which also has a factory installed stereo cassette player. 

It was a regular walk down memory lane for the both of us to work our way thru music from the 1960s, 70s and 80s. 

One of the tapes featured a collection of Southern rock and roll artists including .38 Special.   Their album Tour de Force is the sixth studio album by the band released in 1984.  It featured this tune:  Twentieth Century Fox   

Of course – the First mate reminded me of the debut album by The Doors, released in 1967. This album featured their record-breaking single Light My Fire.  It also featured:  Twentieth Century Fox   

While I may have taking a shine to .38 Special in the 1980s they’ve got nothing compared to The Doors.   The Doors' album sold 20 million copies, was ranked number 42 in Rolling Stone magazine's 500 greatest albums of all time and has been inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame.  Light My Fire was also inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame. 

Here are both videos. 

You chose…





No comments:

Post a Comment