Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Bird In The Bush

A week ago I reported on the replacement of brown thrashers by catbirds in the gnarly, prickly, snaggy, perilous and generally nuisance-some rose bush growing against the attached garage.  (Truthfully it does make a decent home if you are a nesting songbird).

I regret to inform my readers that last weekend I snuck a photo of the nest to see what was up.  There was a broken egg and what appeared to be a little hatchling in the shadows.

click on the images for a close-up



I was concerned as the egg looked like it was a bit 'yolky' for a timely hatch.  And following another twenty-four hours checked again and by all outward appearances and without any adults coming or going from the nest I have an aborted hatchelling or otherwise dead bird in the nest.




I haven't a clue as to the circumstances - a cowbird killed it and subsequently laid its own egg as a replacement - a catbird will destroy and remove a cowbird egg under these circumstances.

Alas, the nest now appears abandoned for the season.

Nature can be a cruel Mother. 

No comments:

Post a Comment