Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Learning in Retirement

In retirement I have vowed to not only pay closer attention to the natural world around me but to learn new things.

 
Recently I spent some time at the Sturgeon Bay Police Department to learn more about the civilian response to an active shooter event.

A couple of years ago if you asked me if I'd ever want to learn more about this subject I would have suggested that you had taken leave of your senses.  Not so much today.

It was fascinating.  According to the FBI - those who would perpetrate mass murder in a workplace, school or public venue are difficult to profile.  They generally have an 'avenger mindset' and only some broadcast their intentions.

It is not unusual for individuals to have a history of and exposure to violence, stalking, harassment or threatening behavior, are substance abusers, suffer some sort of mental illness, demonstrate a pattern of suicidality and come from a background of negative family dynamics.  For younger individuals an addiction to violent gaming contributes to a desensitization for killing. 

Take-away for me is run (avoid), hide (deny) and defend (fight).  And I now have a heightened sense of situational awareness to add to my retirement repertoire. 

For instance, upon entering a grocery store it is a small matter and only takes a few seconds to identify where the exits are.  Then go about your shopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment