Sunday, December 6, 2020

Harley Ben-Hur

I have always considered myself well-versed in the world of sports. While not an enthusiast of all sporting pastimes I’ve lived under the impression that I was generally aware of all of them. 

Until this came to my attention. 

In the world of extreme sports this has absolutely got to take the award for the most dangerously bizarre. 

Sure, I know you’re having your doubts – but this was a thing for a couple of decades straddling the 1920s and 1930s. 

Motorcycle chariot racing. 

Popularized in Australia, yet making an appearance in the states and Europe, this was chariot racing using motorcycles in place of horses. 

At its inception a rider of a motorcycle pulled a charioteer behind. 

With time the race became more more challenging with the charioteer pulled by tandem motorcycles controlling both throttle and steering with a pair of leather reins. 

Yikes! 

The sport in our more modern time doesn’t seem to have a broad universal following – at least that I can tell. Nevertheless, if somebody organized a match race of motorcycle chariots at the Door County fairgrounds dirt track I’m all-in. 

Crazy nuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment