Saturday, May 13, 2023

A Walk Down Memory Lane

One of my cloud photo storage reservoirs is hosted by America's premier search engine.  And from time-to-time Google sends an unsolicited zinger my way.  This photo was suggested to me Monday evening.
 
That was also the anniversary of V-E Day; Victory in Europe Day. On this day Germany unconditionally surrendered to allied forces in Europe.  Coincidence? 
Between you and me I think it is their version of AI (artificial intelligence) at work.
 
Anyway, this photo was taken in Reims France in 1945 after the cessation of hostilities.
 
That is my pop (Howard) on the right with his Cathedral High School pal Donald Darnieder. 
 
Dad landed at Utah Beach as an combat infantryman. Wounded in the liberation of Belgium in September he was evacuated to England. Following recovery from his wounds he returned to the continent and served in the Army of Occupation in Germany after the war.
 
Don was ordained a priest the year I was born.
 
Thanks, Google, for the walk down memory lane.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment