Thursday, December 14, 2023

Afternoon Hunt

Following an overnight trip to the naked city I got home in time to begin defrosting one of the basement chest freezers.  (Back story is all of the fresh venison from this year's hunt has been delivered and I have an empty freezer to facilitate the process).

Anyway, it was sunny and 45+ today so Ruby and I went out for a nice, long hunt.  

Just after I snapped this photo we made a right turn on the trail to return to the house when almost immediately, Mighty Dog flushed one and than a second ring neck.  All alone and unassisted.  I was caught flat-footed and unable to raise my gun immediately.  The first bird was between me and the house - no shot there.  And the second bird landed between us and the road and took-off running.

While the dog was searching for the runner I spied (maybe the first bird) on the ground running the opposite direction.  We don't ground swat game birds.

In any event, the birds got away, the dog was in the game and I was tickled to learn we're still holding birds in the thicker cover.  That's good.

Ruby was pooped from the fresh air and exercise and slept most of the afternoon.

Meanwhile - get a load of that shadow.  One week away from the winter solstice people...

No comments:

Post a Comment