Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Gophers for Breakfast


















CSU Photo

Technically-speaking thirteen-lined ground squirrels.

They're back.

Every year they arrive.

Every year I eradicate them.

And every year they return.

You'd think that by now a memo would have circulated amongst the ground squirrel kingdom that taking-up residence around here might be hazardous.

They build their den in the mound system. These little engineers burrow up to twenty feet leaving several entrance and exit holes.

Why anyone would want to live in someone else's sewage management complex is beyond me - but they do.

They also eat my tomatoes.

I would not begrudge them an occasional fruit but they insist upon taking just one bite from each of the most ripe and ready-to-pick fruits.

Before too long they wear out their welcome.

That time is now and it is time to begin to thin the herd.

It's just shy of 7AM and the squirrels are probably stirring. Fetching my Marlin .22 and a steaming mug of joe I set myself on the picnic table.

Up pops a curious rodent.

Kapow!

Swamp Gas - 1

Squirrels - 0

Thirty-plus yards with iron sights.

One shot.

A good cure for the yips.

No comments:

Post a Comment