Monday, July 27, 2015

Brush Bust'n

Feeling a wee little bit like the guy that drives the county or state highway mower clearing the shoulders and medians.

click on image to enlarge

For as long as I can remember the northeast field was mowed every even-numbered year to keep the woody vegetation at bay.  Wildlife need some irregular openings for nesting, browsing, bedding and the like.

Last year was the year to clear the 7 acres (give or take) at the northeast corner but it was too wet to get back there with the tractor.  I would have bogged-down and gotten stuck.

Drier this year (as per usual) so this past weekend I tackled this and the smaller openings located at the ancestral campsite and shitter location - which also is a proven gobbler hotspot.  

Took me a good part of the day and it was tough going because all of the willow, dogwood, alder and cottonwood had another growing season under their belt.

The good news is I saved some nicely established plots of Joe Pye Weed ...



And only mowed half of the food plot...


I frost seeded that plot late winter/early spring and it's doing just fine (you can see it as the rectangular growth in the picture above.  I figure by mowing half and fertilizing both halves we can compare growth rates this fall.

Stay tuned... 

No comments:

Post a Comment