Sunday, April 3, 2016

Gas or Electric

click image to enlarge

Been cooking on gas (or propane) since 1992 and after four homes similarly-equipped the apartment is outfitted with (gasp!) some sort of crazy radiant electric cooktop and combo convection/microwave oven.

Having unpacked virtually all of the cookware I stumbled my way thru dinner prep tonight. Cornish game hens (regular electric oven) and farro perlato risotto (homemade giblet stock) - steamed broccoli.

Everything turned out fine but the oven and stovetop are slow to respond both up and down the temperature gradient which is absolutely maddening. I can tell this is going to be a steep learning curve but I’ll figure it out.

Where I need some advice is the convection microwave. The instructions are sparse in the department of directions. Note: Heretofore I only use a microwave for reheating leftovers, heating or melting stuff and sometimes sterilizing potting soil - never actual real cooking.

Not experimenting with anything of any consequence until I master it but the convection oven feature is intriguing.

Any guidance is welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment