Monday, April 18, 2016

The Big Apology



I wish to apologize. 

Seriously - I'm not making this up.

Last year I gave my pal Braumeister a really, really, very hard time after I learned that he was trading his venison for lamb.  Pound for pound the wonderfully delicious organically-raised, free range, hand-carved Door Peninsula venison was being bartered for ordinary garden variety lamb.   At the time I figured this to be apostasy. 

Somehow it seemed wrong to me at the time and I shared those mean views with one of my best pals.

In retrospect this was shallow and callous. I take it all back along with a dose of well-deserved humility.

Truth be told there are so many deer on the landscape now if someone wants to kill them and trade a portion of their share for lamb I guess I don't care. We need to thin the dang herd and if it is an inducement to kill deer and trade steaks, chops, roasts, kabob and burger for lamb so be it.

We're all in this deer management thing together.  Take a big buck if the opportunity presents itself, all the does we can and let the little bucks walk.

I've got a line on some home cured and smoked delicacies myself.  Will try to remember to bring some to turkey camp next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment