Thursday, March 29, 2018

More Multi-Family Construction - Rats!

As of Sunday - with the exception of the shallow edges - the big pond north of the house was still frozen.  No way was I going to test the firmness of the ice and I forbade the dogs from venturing on it as well.  However, what drew me to inspect it was my earlier observation of a small critter contrasted against the white surface of the ice.  It was one of the resident muskrats.  Inasmuch as they are not hibernating creatures they were up to something.  So from time to time I watched them through the binoculars.  By all outward appearances they were working on a lodge.  Enlarging it perhaps? 

It's the messy one in the foreground of this photo.

click on image to enlarge
 
Curiously, last fall there were only two muskrat dens at this location.  We're up to three.  The one in the background is new.

That is a heap-ton of new construction in rodent terms.  Rampant development occurring right under my nose.  The curious thing about this is the drop in fur prices might possibly have led to a rise in rat populations.  At least locally. 

Nevertheless, I'm not bitching about it. There will be no breathless faux FB outrage on my part.  The only known social media post may just be this.  The developers may have a wee bit of muskiness to their presence yet muskrats need a place to live too. 

Besides, they make good neighbors - no loud music, no late night parties...   

No comments:

Post a Comment