Thursday, February 21, 2019

Chatechism of the Day

Angel of God, my guardian dear, to whom God's love commits me here, ever this day, be at my side, to light and guard, to rule and guide, Amen.      

In the Roman Catholic tradition of the Christian faith this is a simple traditional prayer for the intercession of the guardian angel.   It is frequently the very first prayer learned by a child – at least it was for me – and is a reminder God's love.  Moreover, if you can implore a guardian angel to support the child in a loving way – all the better.  Kids get into a great deal of dangerous mischief.  At least I did.  Parents need all the help they can implore. 

Only a couple of weeks ago I heard this prayer for the very first time in likely sixty years. 

Whammo!  It was like yesterday I was at my bedside reciting the very same words.

Odd, how these rather fond vestiges of childhood remind an old guy of his mom, church and most basic of early beliefs.  Innocent as it was for sure.
 
Just so you know (and lest ye are of little faith)  - I have a Guardian Angel. 
 
I am living proof......



No comments:

Post a Comment