Saturday, August 31, 2019

Successful Border Security



In case you haven't been following the saga of the 2019 sweet corn it returned this year as an experiment.  Every year I try to introduce something new to the garden  Following a devastating overnight raccoon raid years ago I brought back the sweet corn.  It has been a touch-and-go season with some close calls.  Nevertheless, the corn season has closed and I disconnected and disassembled the electric fence and picked the last remaining sweet corn from the corn patch.  


Yesterday brought an additional dozen corn on the cob along 15 additional packs of off the cob corn.  Sticky and slightly messy work but garden to freezer in hours. That corn is going to be awesome when Ma Nature is flinging snow and freezing rain at me in February.

click on images for a closer look
 
I lost count along the way but I conservatively figure 55 to 60 ears (give-or-take) have been eaten fresh or frozen for future use.  Raccoons all over the place and I lost not one single ear to the masked marauders. That electric fence really did the trick!    

Raising a toast to border security.

No comments:

Post a Comment