Thursday, September 26, 2019

Observations From the Natural World

Finalized repairs yesterday on a couple of elevated deer stands and scouted some portable blind locations.
 



On the return trip I figured I would mark a handful of oak seedlings that have materialized in a wildlife opening. I was thinking that if I marked them I might carefully brush the opening after it dried-out or the ground froze. Little did I know there were so many little oaks.

I ran out of pin flags.


Now the tentative plan is to ‘tube’ some of the better seedling specimens and mark as many more as we can identify.

click on images to enlarge
I know we cannot locate all of them but it may be useful to revisit them next spring/summer to quantify the survivors of mice, rabbits and deer browse.

It’s encouraging to note that the tiny oaks we planted two and a half decades ago are propagating.



Bonus was a ginormous patch of bottle gentian. Maybe even two species. 

The bottom line is any brushing of the opening is on hold.

My retirement vow to pay closer attention to the natural world around me is spinning-off some dividends.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment