Tuesday, March 5, 2024

Blue Lightning

Last weekend I took my Mach-E Mustang on a short road trip to deliberately and impose by force some range anxiety on myself.  

I was seeking confidence in my battery and the vehicle's technology in response.

On the return leg, and before reaching Green Bay, at 30% battery remaining the software began messaging me the closest DC charging station.  Yes, it becomes more shrill as you further deplete your battery and ignore the vehicle entreaties to pull off at a convenient location to add some kilowatts.  The car will "nudge" you by purposefully disengaging the autopilot (Ford Blue Cruise) and the disembodied voice will strongly suggest the driver redirect the route.

The thing of it is, is that I knew exactly how many miles to get home and my Tesla Level Two Universal Charger.  And I had very high confidence in the the instrument readout on remaining battery life and range.

I left home with a 92% charge and returned home with 17% battery and 31 miles of range to spare.  Plenty to have gotten me to Sturgeon Bay and a fast charger if I wanted to.

Most of the trip utilized some form of hands-free driving (I still keep one hand on the wheel anyway) and I got to fill the cabin with really loud rock n' roll music from the Mustang's 10 speaker Bang & Olufsen entertainment system.

And I fetched five boxes of delicious venison sausage goodness too.


Our Stang is a Premium version (Standard, Premium and GT).  The Premium line gets you and extended range battery (optimally 300 miles give or take) and AWD.  Four electric motors is rated at 346 HP and 429 LB-FT of torque.

0-60 in less than 4.8 seconds.

Hubba Hubba...


 

No comments:

Post a Comment