Monday, July 8, 2024

A Fine Kettle Of Fish

Of likely Scottish genesis the title of this post is said to have its origins when the fishing catch was cooked in a fish kettle and served as a picnic meal.  Sounds like a Door County fish boil; but I digress.   

After the feast all the leftover bones, heads and skin would be left in the kettle resembling a mess. 

It is also the name of the current affairs class I help coordinate for the Learning In Retirement program at the local community college.

There is also a gathering on most Friday mornings of locals who meet at the offices for the Door County Community Foundation.  

You're probably scratching your head wondering, where is he going with this brain fart?

I've learned a great deal.  Covering a lot of ground I've covered much new subject matter.  I've learned about things I did not know before and become a better listener.  I still hold opinions.  A few of my opinions have changed.  Most have not.  A few of my opinions have become stronger.  Through both of these venues I've learned much and made many new friends - most of whom share a differing point of view or political opinion. We also share a common trait.

Respect.

It is sad to lose a friendship over a differing point of view or opinion.  And it is joy to maintain friendships and make new friends because it is OK to have differing views and be okay with each other.

No echo chamber.

Lesson learned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment