Thursday, May 5, 2016

The Turtle Hatch

Not birds but reptiles.

With the arrival of spring the turtles hatched last weekend.  

I was puttering with the battery charger on the boat in the machine shed when I noticed this little guy (or girl?) scuttling north across the concrete floor. 

 click on images to enlarge

North is not the way out so I fetched the teeny tiny turtle - about the size of a quarter - and walked it out to the edge of the edge of the rain garden pond in the back yard.  


Placing the youngster at the edge I wished it - Bon Chance!

Several hours later I was rottotilling the large raised garden next to the shed and spotted this little turtle - slightly larger than the first - clambering through the dirt and determinedly heading north.  Turtle #2.


I hate to say it but the dirt coating this tiny turtle is evidence that it must have made it through a rottotilling unscathed.  No worse for the wear.  I promptly delivered this tough little survivor to the edge of the same pond.

As a consequence I am pleased to announce that the previous Turtle #1 had already moved on.

My best guess is that the smaller turtle #1 was a snapper - Chelydra serpintina.  It is distinguished by the prominent ridges on the upper shell and spiky teeth on the edge of the rear marginal scutes.  Big claws too.

Turtle #2 was larger and had red markings on the underside (plastron).  No spikes or sharp ridges.  My guess is a Painted turtle - Chrysemys picta.It is not uncommon for this turtle to hatch and remain in the nest over winter and dig their way out the following spring.

For both species of turtle the sex is dependent upon soil temperature. 

It's rather terrific knowing these reptiles are around.  Especially when they choose to nest right in your yard.  Sign of good habitat and a healthy environment.We've had adult visitors of both species rather regularly around The Platz - oftentimes walking across the driveway. 


No comments:

Post a Comment