Saturday, August 15, 2026

Report From the Oriole Ranch

Adult male orioles are incredibly early migrators which would explain why I haven’t spotted one in more than three weeks. 

They’ve left the females and fledglings behind for a few weeks to finish growing and fueling up. 

Anyway,  earlier this week I spotted a couple of females (or fledglings) eyeing-up an empty feeder. The feeders are empty on account of yellow jackets and other hornets. Besides, with wild berries ripening and insect populations peaking visitors to the feeders have slowed. 

I asked someone who knows more about this than me and I’m told that here in Northeast Wisconsin, the local breeding Baltimore Orioles are officially concluding their season right now, and the birds I am seeing are likely preparing to leave this week.

I think they're gone!
 
Best practice is to leave only small amounts of jelly out to avoid spoilage and keep the birdbaths clean and fresh. 

I should expect some Canadian oriole stragglers passing but to expect warblers and other Neotropical migrants for a while. 
 
We're leaving the welcome mat out for a while.
 
Selected photos were taken over the last seven days. 
 
Click on image for a closer look 
 
Where's my grape jelly?

 

Adult and fledgling

A trio!  Which one is the adult?

Fledgling doing the "fledgling dance" for mom


House finch and oriole



 

No comments:

Post a Comment