Tuesday, August 11, 2026

Wildflower Walk

Doggo and I ran the trail camera trapline after chores. And with a gentle rain falling decided to take a walk along one of the newly-cleared trails. 
 
Seriously, who doesn’t like to take a walk in the rain with their girlfriend?
 
Anyway, I wanted to take some photos of my observations from atop the tractor yesterday of what was blooming in our prairie.  Prairie species are not indigenous to the peninsula as prior to European settlement the landscape was boreal forest.  Nevertheless, since much was cleared for farming planting deeply-rooted native grasses and forbs enhances the wildlife benefits.  
 
ID is included with each image and right-click for a closer look.
 
Obedient Plant (Physostegia virginiana)
 
Blue vervain (Verbena hastata)
 
Joe-Pye weed (Eutrochium maculatum)
 
Prairie Dock (Silphium terebinthinaceum)  It's almost an 8-footer!
 
Swamp White Oak (Quercus bicolor)  I planted these along the creek decades ago. Having reached maturity we’ve been getting acorns recently. 

Canada Tick Trefoil (Desmodium canadense)

Rosinweed (Silphium integrifolium) 

A forest of Compass Plant (Silphium laciniatum)

False Sunflower (Heliopsis helianthoides)

Cardinal Flower (Lobelia cardinalis)  Doggo and I had to brave the poison ivy (Toxicodendron radicans) to take this photo.  

 Nodding onion (Allium cernuum)  A wild edible

Prairie Blazing Star (Liatris pycnostachya)  It’s as tall as me! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment