The advertisement below dates back to 1964.
This was a time when home freezer ownership was becoming commonplace. At least it was in our household. I clearly remember the big, upright Sears Frost Free Coldspot freezer prominently ensconced next to the ancient beer fridge in the basement laundry room.
That freezer was a godsend as it allowed mom to freeze seasonal fruit, berries, homemade applesauce and her delicious baked goods. We'd stock-up on bakery from the day-old bread store and all manner of grocery sale items that could stand freezing found their way there. Amazingly, that freezer was still running when I bought my first house in 1984 and it was moved into my basement laundry room where it delivered years of maintenance-free service before the power company offered me a $100 savings bond to haul it away.
Anyway, back in the mid 1960s the market for TV dinners and convenience foods, including frozen pizzas, was expanding and naturally, Chef Boy-Ar-Dee dipped their toe in the market.
Ironically, I have no memory of a frozen pizza served our household; although we could get carryout from a local pizzeria on rare celebratory occasions. Chef Boy-Ar-Dee was a major player in the convenience meal niche and having dominated the boxed pizza kit sector the Chef brought to market a premade frozen pizza. Simple cheese or sausage and cheese.
Clearly the advertising is targeted to teenagers and their parents touting the frozen pizza as the ultimate party-perfect food; freezer to table in minutes.
Notably, this was the peak of Chef Boy-Ar-Dee as an independent company. In 1966 the brand was acquired by American Home Products; a national leader in convenience food offerings.
I have to say, the pizza pictured is not very appealing. There, again, frozen pizzas were a novelty in 1964; and after sixty years of culinary evolution they now command their own territory in the frozen foods section of a grocery to accommodate the selection. That's impressive progress for sure.
I should add that I have admittedly become a pizza snob; and make my own sourdough pizza and bread dough. I make pizza sauce made from San Marzano tomatoes grown - not in the rich volcanic soils in the shadow of Mount Vesuvius - but in marginal Door County soil in the shadow of Brussels Hill.
And I'm rather adept at it.

No comments:
Post a Comment