Thursday, September 10, 2026

Framboise Rouge

In the foreground is our raspberry patch.  

It’s not very large and the variety(s) of raspberries we planted decades ago is lost to history.  Most springs I prune and remove any dead canes and give it a good fertilizer drench formulated specifically for raspberries.  While it is hardly neglected it doesn't receive the level of attention a commercial raspberry grower would give it such as tidy straight rows, diligent weeding and a trellis.  We have an old school briar patch.  This year I was worried that our modest berry patch might have been done-in.  Finis.

Over winter the rabbits (or some other critter) chomped every single live plant down to ground level.  I had to remove only a handful of dead canes and there wasn't much to observe above ground.  Nevertheless, I fertilized it and crossed my fingers.  And as it warmed-up, sure enough, raspberry leaves emerged from the ground and plants began to grow.  So I fertilized it again; and a month later fertilized it a third time for good measure.  I even went in there with a string trimmer and cleared as much of the grass and weeds as I could taking pains to avoid cutting any of the raspberries.

And in the last week the berries began to ripen.  And there are a lot of them.  The dog and I go out to the patch nearly every day to pick berries; and it looks like we're gonna be busy for a while.  On a good day I estimate we'll gather almost a pint.  Doggo is fond of eating the low-hanging fruit and I pick the rest.  And eat some along the way.  Consequently, we've got seasonal raspberries for table fare.  Given the cost of diesel to get raspberries to the produce department of a local grocery nowadays, these gems are worth their weight in gold.

 

And we're freezing them for a wintertime treat.  You haven't lived until you've had one of Jill's smoothies made with Greek yogurt, local honey and our own frozen raspberries.   



No comments:

Post a Comment