Years ago I got it in my head to cut a trail from east to west (or west to east) to see if the deer would prefer to walk on it. I wasn't necessarily doing this for their convenience as there were two deer stands positioned within roughly a hundred yards of each end - the new Stand of Death 2.0 on the east, an older (but in really good shape) metal tower to the west and a third wooden guard tower in the middle.
The trail is a quarter mile in length and - yes - the deer prefer it. I don't know if they're lazy or easily duped; although I think it is the former and not the latter.
As the trees have grown-up the trail has gotten tighter. Nevertheless, if I mow it and trim some branches a couple of times each year I haven't had any trouble keeping it open. As a matter of fact, in some sections it has become more like a tunnel.
The Tunnel of Doom
Some of you may think that this affords the hunter an unfair advantage. I would disagree. With their keen sniffer and sharp vision it is the whitetail who generally has the advantage. Think of this as creating three ambush points. That is fair chase. If we put out piles of corn and shot the hapless deer casually feeding on a corn pile that would be an unfair advantage. While it is perfectly legal (so far) we don't hunt deer over corn as that is mere shooting and requires no patience or skill. But I digress.
Here's some images recently captured before, during and after.
Mama and the twins...
Me on the New Holland Boomer going...
And returning....
Me and Ruby servicing the trail cameras on this particular day...
And the tunnel.....


No comments:
Post a Comment