Tuesday, August 15, 2017

If Only the Dead Could Talk



I have no interest in over-analyzing - my simple observation is this.


My father landed at Utah Beach as an infantry replacement to liberate Continent Europe from the yoke and atrocities committed under the of Nazi occupation. He survived the breakout from the Norman hedgerows, the dash across northern France – with the 47th Inf. Reg. the first American unit to liberate Belgium. By the end of September he was recuperating in England from wounds suffered by Nazi shelling.


He survived the horror and returned home to raise a family – including me. Many of his comrades paid the full measure of devotion and rest in American cemeteries across Europe.


Dad never carried a grudge against the Germans or Germany. He was a civilian employee of the US Army in Germany following the war and I happen to have been born there.

To see goose-stepping torchbearers waving flags with a swastika in America has got me scratching my head. If dad was alive today he might tell you this is nothing less than pissing on the graves of the dead.


I wonder what the dead would have to say about homegrown American Nazis?

No comments:

Post a Comment