Sunday, May 26, 2019

The Garden Chronicles

May 16th I planted peas and radishes.  They have begun to emerge thru the surface of the soil in the last 24 hours.

May 21st I planted the old reliable German butterball taters and Stuttgarter yellow onions - renowned for their ease of raising and long-term storage characteristics.  As I tap this out I have onions and potatoes from last year's garden in the garage fridge.

Today I planted the first sowing of the following:  four varieties of lettuce, spinach, two varieties of carrots, green beans and two varieties of beets - traditional red and golden.


More will be installed after these are up and thriving so as to have a continuous harvest throughout the growing season.

I've also been hardening-off my potted tomatoes, sweet peppers, broccoli, a melon and an acorn squash plant.

After 14 years (give or take) the asparagus patch is most definitely played-out having only sent-up three, thread-thin stalks.  Added to the project list is digging-up the existing bed and replanting it.  Reflecting-upon the loss of fresh-picked spargel for a period of 2-3 years as I get a new bed established it has occurred to me that I should have planned for this eventuality and started a back-up bed five years ago.  Sigh.

You're probably thinking - Jeez, Swamp, what's with those weeds in your garden.  Getting lazy in retirement? 

It's expected to rain tomorrow - and those weeds will pull easy following a good soak.

Vive le jardin magnifique!

No comments:

Post a Comment