Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Doing What Comes Naturally

Anyone who knows me knows that I am a friend of song birds.  Cavity-nesting and especially ground-nesting birds.  Nevertheless, I struggle with the birds that insist-upon nesting on my house.  It's messy after-all.

Yesterday, Jill opened the crank-out window of the kitchen only to discover that swallows had begun to compromise the Nixalite above in an attempt to build a nest.  She texted this:
 
Warm outside and cold inside so I cranked open the kitchen window. Unbeknownst to me swallows had been trying to build a nest at the nixalite. So when I opened it and with the outside breeze, pieces of nest and dust blew in to the kitchen.  So first I cleaned out the kitchen and then I cleaned out around the window outside.  Hmmmm...How to keep them from trying to rebuild? Trying a woodpecker and a cat.  So far so good.



click on image to enlagre

Woody Woodpecker and Garfield the Cat were deployed as improvisational scarecrows and at last report they were winning the upper hand.

Stay tuned - and if you want to learn more about Nixalite Bird Spikes click on this link

Raising a toast to American ingenuity...

No comments:

Post a Comment