Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Kermis

This month brings the celebration of Kermis to this part of the state.  And the harvest continues....


A friend of mine invited me over to his place to pick mulberries.  Yup, wild-grown, native mulberries.  I have never, to my knowledge, ever enjoyed a mulberry.  Not once.

We dined on these (especially good on vanilla ice cream) and I froze a couple of packages as a winter treat. As a result of my mulberry experience I think I'm going to order some nursery stock this winter for planting in the early spring.



Then there is the broccoli.  I can honestly say that this year's broccoli is the gift that keeps on giving.  And with cooler nights it should persist.  



And there are apples on our apple trees.  They're generally neglected but they are abundant this year.  I haven't a clue what variety other than they are quite tart.



Acorns too.  We don't eat them.  However, if you leach the tannins from them I am told that they are quite wholesome and healthful.  The deer, blue jays and turkeys dine on them straight-up.

The green beans appear to be done although the sweet peppers continue to produce.  The tomatoes are going gangbusters - not so many to can but plenty to eat daily and share.  There are carrots and beets to dig and a big pile of German Butterball spuds to excavate.  Third sowing of lettuces and spinach have emerged and the mutant pumpkin vine continues it's mutancy.  

Been taking surplus produce over to the local church on occasion too.  It's been a good year.  Raising a toast to the continuing harvest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment