Saturday, July 15, 2017

Bon Voyage Mon Ami



When Joe passed-away last Tuesday I lost a friend.  And the curious thing about it is I never would have met or come to have known Joe except for the coincidence of my daughter marrying his son.  Life is peculiar that way.  

Over the eleven years we were acquainted I discovered a soul with whom I shared many common interests; namely spending time with family, outdoor pursuits and telling stories.  On the subject of stories Joe is likely one of the best spinners of tales I’ve had the pleasure of being introduced.  None of which I will repeat here.    

My association with Joe also accounted for a handful of things I might never have become acquainted-with otherwise.  Included among them are:  chucking a bait-casting reel for redfish until your arm hurt.  Catching speckled trout and flounder off of a pier in the glow of a setting gulf sun.  Running crab traps and indulging in raw oysters with an adult beverage found in a fruit jar in the back of the freezer.  I even spent a long, hot and dusty day with him at the crematorium.   

Joe and I were not too many years-apart in age so his mortal departure hits a bit closer to home than I’m accustomed-to.   I had a short time on this earth getting to know him and only wish it could have been longer.  I am forever grateful for the blink in time we shared.  Joe will be sorely missed.  

Cheers!  

 click on the moonshine for a better look

No comments:

Post a Comment