Friday, August 12, 2016

Invader

click on the noxious invasive to enlarge

Meet Centaurea biebersteinii - Spotted knapweed.

Spotted knapweed is an invasive plant that has become widespread in the Great Lakes region. It is a  biennial plant that has purplish colored flowers.  The leaves are alternate, and covered with translucent dots - hence the name. This plant does not spread via runners, but instead only by seeds.  Curiously this nasty plant produces its own natural herbicide called "catechin" that eradicates competing plants around it.

Since I found this adjacent to the gravel road on the north property line I figure it arrived on town or county highway equipment.  It's the first time I've seen it on or near or property.

I sprayed it with glyphosate thereby ending its useless life.  And I'll keep a sharp eye out for more.

You can learn more about this invader here.



No comments:

Post a Comment