Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Guardian Angels

I don't know if you believe in Guardian Angels but I certainly do.  I've had too many close brushes with fate to abandonthis vestige of my Roman Catholic upbringing. “According to Church tradition”, Pope Francis said, “we all have an angel with us, who guards us."

I had another brush with fate this last weekend.

While out brushing trails and clearing wildlife openings I have absolutely no idea why the roll bar on the New Holland tractor did not knock this basketball-sized nest full of hundreds of buzzing baldfaced hornets from the white pine where their nest was hung.

click on image to enlarge

That's it directly in the center of the photo.

I drove close to both edges of that tree and had I disturbed their lair the insects would have vigorously defend their nest. Baldfaced hornets are known for their defensive behavior. People are often stung when they accidentally stumble upon a hidden nest.

Even though I carry an epi-pen an attack by a swarm of these guys would have really missed-up my day or maybe even my life.

That Guardian Angel put in some hazardous duty overtime last weekend.  Do angels get a raise?

No comments:

Post a Comment