Monday, April 16, 2018

For The Birds

File this under possibly interfering too much with the natural order of things.

I will admit to having a soft spot in my heart for song birds.  I enjoy them so much I make a point to discourage introduced predators such as feral cats, I maintain a large number of home-built nest boxes for the cavity-dwelling species and I do what I can to provide good natural habitat otherwise.

This nasty turn of the weather coincided with the arrival of many of migratory songbirds and really put a crimp on their food resources.  As a consequence, I'm working overtime to make sure the three mixed seed feeders are stocked and the niger thistle and suet feeder are filled as well. 

We also established four additional feeding stations on the porch - out of the elements and not as exposed to a marauding hawk.  If only I could get my hands on a bucket of meal worms.  Sigh...

No comments:

Post a Comment