Friday, April 20, 2018

Talking Turkey






By the time this post is published I'll be back out stalking the wild turkey.  Well, not really 'stalking' as that would imply slowly moving thru the woods to ambush an unwary gobbler.  That is known as 'still-hunting'.  How it got that name is a mystery as you're certain not standing still.  In any event, I'm not using that hunting technique as wild turkeys are really too wary (in my opinion) to hunt in this fashion.  The snow is deep..
For me turkey hunting is characterized by lengthy hours of sitting still from a place of concealment over a decoy set-up, calling every 20-30 minutes and a clear view of possible approaches.




With as much snow as there is on the ground I'm using a winter camouflage smock - a poncho-like garment that I can pull-on over multiple layers of clothing. 

To locate a place to set-up simply hike along a trail until you find fresh turkey sign.  Like this:

click on images for a better look

No comments:

Post a Comment