Saturday, September 17, 2016

Heirloom Tomato


click on the tomato to enlarge

Behold the Black Krim.

This is the first year I've turned my hand at heirloom tomatoes - and I started with a a plant from Bonnie Brooke Gardens Nursery this spring.  A Black Krim.

It's been producing some of the finest fruits I've ever had the good fortune to dine-upon. Firm, juicy, mildly tart with maybe a hint of Merlot perhaps.

The internet tells me that nearly all black tomato varieties hail from Crimea in Ukraine.  Hot summers there built pigment and fruit sugars that turn flesh and skin dark shades of mahogany, chestnut, bronze and deep purple.  That’s why black tomatoes do well in southern states with torrid summers.  In any event they've been popular on the Crimean peninsula for more than a hundred years.

They're gaining popularity here on the Door peninsula too.

No comments:

Post a Comment