Saturday, October 15, 2016

Playing Possum

Many years ago I walked out to a deer stand on a totally dark morning.  With a bow in one hand and a headlamp I climbed the ladder to the platform and just as I reached the top an exceedingly large and very ugly possum looked me right in the face!  I don't know for sure who was more startled.  It was miraculous that I didn't fall from the ladder and crash to the ground.  There is never a dull moment when bow hunting.

Didelphis virginiana - the Virginia opossum is the species found in Wisconsin and is the only marsupial found north of Mexico.  It's curious creature as it doesn't hibernate in winter, can hang by its tail from a tree branch, the young travel from place to place perched on mom's back and the possum can defend itself successfully against large predators.  In a pinch it will rollover an play dead.  This critter is resistant to plague and rabies and is immune to snake venom. 

They're also nocturnal.

click to enlarge and you will see his skinny naked tail

No comments:

Post a Comment